The promotional product industry is a very profitable industry. In 2016 alone, U.S. sales reached $21.3 billion*.
However, as with any large industry, it can be hard to stand out. Especially if you’re just starting or don’t have the budget that some of the larger companies have.
So how are you supposed to compete in such a huge market? By doing something to stand out! One way to stand out is to have your own website or platform to sell your products.
In this blog post, I’ll show you how to sell promotional products via your own website using Shopify.
What is Shopify?
Shopify is an e-commerce platform that allows you to put up your own professional looking online store in minutes. They make it super easy to set up your store.
They also handle everything for you from marketing to payments and even shipping.
Why should I sell promotional products on Shopify?
I recommend using Shopify to sell your promotional products, not only because it’s super easy to get started using. But because we created a Shopify app specifically to help you sell your personalizable products.
Product Customizer (by Artistry.io) allows you to easily sell customizable products while allowing your customers to see a live preview of what their final product will look like.
With Product Customizer (by Artistry.io) and Shopify you’ll be able to:
- Boost revenue by selling products in your own store instead of losing your customer’s attention to thousands of other products in a marketplace.
- Gain customer trust by showing them what their unique product will look like before they check out.
- Simplify custom orders without worrying about writing code.
How do I get started selling promotional products using Shopify?
(Some of the links listed below are affiliate links. We will receive compensation for you signing up for service using our links.)
Opening up your own Shopify store to sell your promotional products is simple. Here’s how you do it:
- Click here to sign up for your 14-day free Shopify trial.
- After you sign up for Shopify, click here to install our Product Customizer (by Artistry.io) app.
- Next, in your Shopify Dashboard, go to your settings. (It’ll be at the very bottom of your page on the left.) Here you’ll be able to set your shop options.
- General – In this section, you’ll be able to set your store contact info, time zone, unit system, currency, and more.
- Payments – Here, you’ll set up how you receive payments. You can accept credit card payments via Shopify, enable payments via PayPal, Amazon, or several other payment gateway options. You’ll also select whether you’d like to capture the payment or authorize the card only.
- Shipping – Everything having to do with shipping is configured here. Shopify has special pricing available through USPS. You’ll be able to use those rates as a Shopify user. Otherwise, you can select a different carrier. You can also choose your label format, default package size, and add drop shipping or fulfillment services.
- Taxes – Shopify makes setting up taxes really easy. In this section, you’ll set up your tax settings, including your physical location(s) and they automatically collect the correct tax rate(s) for you.
- Gift Cards – You can set default expiration dates for gift cards in this section. You can also set up Apple Wallet passes if you’d like to accept them.
- Notifications – In this section, you can edit the emails sent to you and your customers. You probably don’t need to customize any of the individual emails, but I would click the Customize button and set your colors and logo. You can add additional people to receive order notifications, and enable desktop notifications on orders.
- Files – You probably won’t need this section at all so I would skip it at least for now.
- Sales Channels – You can select from various sales channels you’d like to sell your Shopify products in. This section is handy once you get your store up, but if you want to set your store up quickly, you could skip this part for now.
- Account – You’ll be able to manage your account here, add staff, change billing info, etc.
Once you’ve set your store settings, it’s time to select and edit your theme.
- In your Shopify Dashboard, click on Online Store. (It’ll be toward the middle, on the left.)
- You can explore free themes, or purchase one from the theme store. We recommend the free Debut theme for ease of customization. It also integrates nicely with our app. Check out this blog post for more information about the Debut Shopify theme.
- Once you select your theme, you’re going to click on Customize Theme. You’ll find this on the top right of the area that shows your current theme. In this section, you can set your colors, fonts, logo, and everything else about your store’s layout while looking at a live preview.
- When you’re done modifying your theme, click on < Themes at the top left of your page to return to your Shopify Dashboard.
- In your dashboard, you’ll notice you can add blog posts, new pages, and edit your navigation. You can do this once your store is set up.
- Next, you’ll want to go in the Domains setting and set up your domain name.
- After your domain name is configured, you should go to Preferences and set your title and meta description. This shows up when your page shows up on search engines, so make sure to be very descriptive, yet keep it short and sweet. Consider it like describing what your company does/sells, in one tweet.
- You can also add your Google Analytics info here. Google Analytics is free software you can use to track in depth details regarding your shop’s visitors. You can also add a Facebook Pixel which you’ll use for remarking purposes. There’s more information about that on the actual settings page. There’s also a few other settings you’ll be able to set up here.
Now that your Shopify theme is customized for your brand, it’s time to add your products.
- If you have a lot of existing inventory, the easiest way to create products is to go to Products, Import, and use their Excel file to mass import your inventory. Each product that you’d like to allow customization for will need also need to be set up through our app, and connected to your Shopify product. (I’ll post info on how to do this in a moment.)
- If you don’t have much inventory, you can just create your products as you go in the Product Customizer (by Artistry.io) app.
- To add a customizable product, click on Apps in your dashboard, then click on Product Customizer (by Aristry.io.) Here you’ll be able to select from one of our existing templates or create your own. We’ve got videos set up throughout the app to help guide you through everything. Be sure to hit the play button when you see it on a page to view the videos.
- There are so many things you can do with our app. Our user manual is the best place to go to help you set up all sorts of customizable products. If you need additional help, you can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Keep in mind that you can sell non-customizable products through Shopify as well. You’ll just create them in the regular Product section in Shopify instead of on our app.
The promotional product industry is a very profitable, very competitive business. An easy and affordable way to stand out in this industry is to create your own promotional products shop.
Shopify makes it super easy to set up a professional looking online shop in minutes. Our Shopify app, Product Customizer (by Artistry.io) allows you to sell customizable products without having to write any code easily.
Click here to get started boosting profit by selling custom products in your online store today.