I recently moved into a new place and was doing some furniture shopping. After looking around the store for a while, I decided on the living room set I wanted. Immediately the sales lady pulled up the set I selected on a screen, asked me the color of my walls and floor, so I could see what my new red couch would look like in my home.
Then she let me pick through hundreds of options of couch pillows. They had the sofa and the fabric there, but having that visual in an environment that looked like my own home, made the purchase feel a lot safer to me. It also made me feel good about my purchase.
Now I know I didn’t order a custom living room set. My couch cushions weren’t custom either. But something about being able to choose the colors and accessories, made the buying experience feel super fancy. Like I was getting a custom couch.
So that got me thinking about our Shopify app, Product Customizer (by Artistry.io.) Our app is very niche, as it’s only available for Shopify. But it’s even more niche because it’s only for shops who sell customizable products.
So my furniture buying got me asking myself, what if we can help people have their customers feel the same way I felt when customizing my non-custom furniture?
So I was inspired to write this article and share with you how to sell custom products when you don’t have custom products to sell.
Why should I sell custom products?
You may be wondering why you should even bother selling custom products. Here are a few reasons:
- It’ll make you stand out from your competition.
- Customers are willing to pay up to 19% more for personalized products.*
- People become raving fans of yours and tell other people about their experiences. (Exhibit A: My furniture story above.)
- It keeps people on your site longer, increasing their chances of buying from you.
I could go on, but you get the point. When people take an active role in designing something, they’re more likely to purchase it because they feel a sense of pride toward that item. This sense of pride also makes them want to share it with everyone they know.
But I don’t have the resources to put pictures of people’s dogs on products!
- Put two products together – Say you have a shirt that comes in different colors. You think it pairs nicely with several necklaces. You could bundle these together and allow users to customize the color of the shirt and select the necklace they’d like with the shirt. You can use pictures to put the necklaces on the shirts to show what they’ll look like together.
- Allow users to see what your product would look like in their home – If you sell art or decorations, you can allow users to upload a picture of the space they want to use your product in. This way they’ll be able to see what your product will look like in their own home. We’ve written a blog post on how to do this with our Product Customizer (by Artistry.io) app: Custom Image – Use The “Auto Size Behavior” Feature to Create Mockups.
- Include different color options – If you have products that come in various colors, and the text or artwork it contains comes in various colors, you can use these products as customizable products. For example, if you have a shirt with the same saying in 5 different colors, with 3 color options for the artwork, you can set it up as a customizable product. It’ll help by giving your customers fewer choices avoiding paralysis by analysis. They’ll see pick your product color and select your art, instead of seeing 15 different thumbnails of the different variations available.
There are so many other ways you can package and sell personalized products. You’ve just got to get creative! Think of all the products you sell. How can you remix or package them together for a more personalized product experience for your customers?
How do I sell custom products using Shopify?
As I mentioned before, we’ve created an app, specifically to help you sell customizable products using Shopify.
Product Customizer (by Artistry.io) allows you to:
- Boost revenue by selling customizable products.
- Gain customer trust by showing them what their unique product will look like before they check out.
- Simplify custom orders without worrying about writing code.
Here’s how to use the Product Customizer (by Artistry.io) app:
- You’ll need to log in to Shopify to install the app. If you don’t currently have Shopify, you can sign up by clicking here.
- Click here to install the Product Customizer (by Artistry.io) app.
- To add a customizable product, click on Apps in your dashboard. Then click on Product Customizer (by Aristry.io.) Here you’ll be able to select from one of the existing templates or create your own. We’ve got videos set up throughout the app to help guide you through everything. Be sure to hit the play button when you see it on a page to view the videos.
- There are so many things you can do with this app. Our user manual is the best place to go to help you set up all sorts of customizable products. If you need additional help, you can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Best practices for selling customizable products
Having customizable products in your store is great! But it won’t bring any value to your customers if they don’t know where those products are there or why they’re special. Here are some tips on how to make sure your customizable products stand out.
- Make a big deal out of your custom products! Draw lots of attention to them. Make people feel like they’re missing out by NOT buying your custom products.
- Since some of your products will feature multiple pictures, it’s important that those pictures are appropriately sized, so your customers don’t have to wait for them to load. The longer the wait, the more likely they’ll leave your site. Here’s a blog post on how to optimize images for your online store: How to Make Your Online Shop Faster by Optimizing Your Images
- Don’t put out all your products at once! Publish a few products this week, then a few more products next week, etc. That way you’re not overwhelmed by creating all these products at once. It also gives you an excuse to continue promoting new products.
- Set up a tag for your customizable products so customers can easily find them. You’ll then be able to add them to a section on your homepage, or link to the page directly from ads and social media.
People love customizable products, they love having a sense of accomplishment after customizing something. They also enjoy sharing their creations with their friends. YOU need to take advantage of that!
With services such as Shopify, and apps like our Product Customizer (by Artistry.io) you can easily bundle non-customizable products into personalizable products that your customers will love!
Click here to get started boosting profit by selling custom products in your online store today.